We were stuffed into the little music room last night, as the school auditorium where we usually rehearse was being used for graduation exercises. The heat was awful; there’s little ventilation, and about forty musicians playing lively stuff.
A decent rehearsal overall; we got some bad news, though. The Grieg is being cut from the program. A wind player exclaimed in relief when it was announced, and my stand partner seemed approving. I was apparently the only one who was disappointed, and I was sitting right in front of the conductor. “We could do it if we had just two more weeks,” I said. He smiled and shrugged at me, spreading his hands in a “no choice” sort of gesture. I love the Grieg, and I’ve worked really hard on it. Ah, well. We’ve been promised that it will be rescheduled, perhaps for our next concert in the fall.
I notice that it’s raining. That might be my fault. I decided yesterday afternoon that it would be nice to have my husband home today. He hasn’t come back yet, though; it probably won’t be much longer, since it’s hard to mow in the rain. Think of it this way: if it’s raining now, maybe it will actually be sunny on the weekend for a change.