(This blog post has been reconstructed, thanks to a server failure that lost a week of uploads and updates.)
I mentioned that I signed up for Spinzilla a couple of months ago. This year it ran from 12:01 of 6 October through 11:59 of 12 October. Things went well for the first few days; I spun and plied almost twice as much beaded yarn that I needed to make up the shortfall Iâ€™d discovered at the end of the Tour de Fleece this past July. It garnered me 1125 yards for Team Kromski (score yardage is the length of each single in the ply, plus the plied length, because yarn has passed through your wheel/spindle that many times. It maxes out at 3 plies, though.) Then I had a crazy couple of days of packing and finishing a work project six days ahead of schedule, because it was due the night we got back. I took my new-to-me Mazurka prototype and a 4-oz box of rolags along on our trip to southern Ontario, so I could get some spinning done there. (The Mazurka fits beautifully on its back in the trunk, along with all our family trip paraphernalia.)
I spun two ounces the Friday evening and Saturday. The Mazurka prototype only has one bobbin, so I wound the singles off into a centre-pull ball with my ball winder, and plied from that centre-pull ball on Sunday evening. (There was a mental disconnect for a while regarding that plying step; I was stuck in the â€˜spin all the singlesâ€™ mentality, so was planning to spin the second single next, but I finally realised that plying that one single back on itself would net me more score yardage, because I could spin the second single afterward anyway and add that yardage as well, as a kind of bonus.) I had to wait till I was home to measure it, though, because I had neither my niddy-noddy nor my skeinwinder with me. I wound the plied yarn off into another centre-pull ball for storage, and started spinning a second single that I could add to the total spun yardage. In my timezone, Spinzilla ended Sunday night at 23:59; nothing done after that counted. I spun till ten oâ€™clock Sunday evening, then went to bed, figuring that what was done was done, and there wasnâ€™t much else I could do, especially since we had to be up bright and early and mostly coherent for the drive home the next day.
Spinzilla final yarns, 14 October 2014
Spinzilla yarn #1: 2 oz pewter beaded merino/bamboo, 2-ply, 28 wpi, 375 yards = 1125 Spinzilla yards
Spinzilla yarn #2: 2 oz blue and green woolen-spun Corriedale/silk, 2-ply, approx. 10 wpi, 214 yards = 642 Spinzilla yards
extra: 25 yards of singles, spun from the second half of the rolags
TOTAL = 1792 yards (!!!)
Am I happy with my Spinzilla performance? Not completely. Iâ€™m impressed by how much I did manage to get done, fitting it in around work that had to be delivered ahead of deadline, doctor appointments and medical tests, and travelling. I wanted to do a whole lot more, but my final yardage managed to break the mile mark (!!!), totalling 1792 yards. (A mile is 1760 yards, in case you were curious.) So while Iâ€™m proud and astonished by that feat, which I was fairly sure wasnâ€™t going to happen, Iâ€™d have been happier with more. I am happy on two particular counts, though: I have enough of my beaded yarn to knit the Swinging Triangles shawl, and Iâ€™ve proven that the Mazurka can travel with me. Weâ€™re still in a rocky relationship regarding double drive, improvised scotch tension, and draw-in â€” Iâ€™m satisfied by my singles, but the plying seems very loose no matter what adjustments I make â€” but practice will make perfect.